Saturday, April 3, 2010

Butler = Cinderella

No matter what happens in the National Championship game, Butler is and always will be a Cinderella story. It doesn’t matter that they were only a 5 seed, ranked throughout the year, or have a history of being a solid basketball team. They are still a Cinderella story. They play in the Horizon League. Do you know who else plays in the Horizon League? No? Teams like Wright State, Green Bay, Milwaukee, Cleveland State, Valparaiso, Detroit, Loyola, University of Illinois at Chicago, and Youngstown State play in the Horizon League. No offense to those teams, but they are not exactly the powers of the college basketball landscape. I don’t care if Butler only lost 4 times throughout the year. You have to be a somewhat good team to make it to the “Big Dance”. Unless someone can tell me a definitive definition of what a Cinderella team is, I’m sticking to my guns on this one. In fact, I think Butler is the ultimate Cinderella story. They are an even better story than my George Mason Patriots. The good CAA conference teams would beat all of the other Horizon League teams. Win or lose though, Butler has already redefined the image I have of Cinderella teams in the NCAA Tournament. Only a part of me will be rooting for them though, because I really want Mike Krzyzewksi to win more championships and go down as the greatest college basketball coach ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment