Thursday, March 11, 2010

Fixing The Washington Wizards

The main goal of sports should always be to win a championship. “You play to win the game”. The Washington Wizards, as they are currently constructed, haven’t been winning too many games. It’s so bad that, at this juncture, I’m not sure if a single player on the roster could start for a team with a winning record. They have some talent, but that talent is either raw, underachieving, or suspended. I tend to live in a fantasy world, so let me explain what I am doing here. I am deciding who on the Washington Wizards roster should be on the team next year and who shouldn’t be. I don’t care about contracts or clauses. I am making this very simple. If the Washington Wizards want to build a winner here is who I think should stay or go.

Point Guards- Gilbert Arenas = I think after missing so much playing time to injury and suspension he has to go. He’s still a very good player, but in the last few years he’s created more drama than production.
Randy Foye = I wouldn’t mind keeping him on the team as a backup. I don’t think he is an NBA starter though. He’s also an in-between player without a real position.
Earl Boykins = He’s played pretty well for the Wizards this year, but I’m only a fan of keeping small players if they are young. That is because they are normally pretty good defenders against other small players. He will probably be gone after this year, but he may get a contract with another team.
Javaris Crittenton = He will be gone after this season. I actually like him as a player. He’s not a great shooter, but he has some defensive and passing abilities.
Shaun Livingston = He’s gone after this year too. I’ve always been a fan of his, but he just hasn’t been the same since his horrific knee injury.
Mike James = The best thing Flip Saunders has done this season is not play Mike James. He probably has a place on some NBA roster, but his shot selection is horrible. He has to go.

Shooting Guards- Mike Miller = I like Mike Miller a lot. I think he is a back up though. He doesn’t really do anything great, but he does everything well. I think the Wizards should try and keep him.
Nick Young = He’s a streaky shooter who I think could be a solid sixth man if he was given the minutes and freedom to just score. He’ll be back and maybe next year will be better for him.
Quinton Ross = No real reason to keep him or get rid of him, but I don’t think he can be a player on a championship team and since that is the goal, I say he should go.

Small Forwards- Josh Howard = I don’t think he really has a passion for basketball now that he’s made some money. I say he goes, but we’ll see what the Wizards do. They tend to make bad decisions.
Al Thornton = He’s another player who I wouldn’t mind if he stayed on as a bench shooter. Give him minutes and the freedom to score and he can help a team win some games. Keep him.
Mike Harris = Gone after this year. Probably back to the NBDL.

Power Forwards- Andray Blatche = He’s been great since he became a starter. He looks like he’s finally putting everything together. Even if he hasn’t and his current production is just a mirage, I say keep him as a Lamar Odom type off the bench.
James Singleton = I say keep him. He’s a solid rebounder and a good defender.

Centers- JaVale McGee = He is too raw. Yes, I said too raw. He doesn’t rebound like he should be able to. He’s lost on defense. He tries to block too many shots. I say let him go.
Fabricio Oberto = He will probably be gone after this year. He’s a shell of his former self.

Keepers = Randy Foye, Mike Miller, Nick Young, Al Thornton, Andray Blatche, James Singleton.

No comments:

Post a Comment