Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Is Johnny Depp Still A Good Actor?


I have some unpopular opinions. I’m not afraid to express them and I’m not afraid to be criticized for them. They are just opinions. They are just thoughts. It’s just how I feel. Here is one opinion I’m sure others don’t agree with. Johnny Depp is no longer a good actor. Hopefully people will read this with an open mind before calling me names.

Does it matter if Johnny Depp is no longer a good actor? Nope. Not one bit. He’s a millionaire who will continue making movies despite what some guy in Maryland (Me) thinks. Hear me out though. I’m saying at this point in time Johnny Depp has become a bad actor. I’m still a fan of his and I think he will bounce back, but currently he is not very good. He used to be great, but talent or acting ability can be lost. Ask Matthew McConaughey.

That is what I think has happened. I think Johnny Depp has lost his acting ability/talent. Maybe he’s just not trying anymore. In recent years he has resorted to playing over the top characters covered in make-up. That’s not acting. That’s hiding. That’s mailing in a performance. That’s living off your name and reputation instead of your ability.

What is good acting though? Some say it’s about getting consistent work. Some say it’s about having profitable films. Some say it’s about being nominated or winning awards. I’d say it’s the ability of a person to transform into a character, while delivering an authentic performance that is believable to the audience.  

To me, Johnny Depp no longer does this. He uses silly voices and awkward mannerisms. It works for some of his characters, but for the majority of them, it falls flat. It takes me out of the movie going experience. It’s a distraction every time he’s on screen. He stands out, not because of his skill, but because of his lack of subtlety. There is nothing nuanced about his recent performances.  

It looks like “Into the Woods” and “Mortdecai” will continue his “Tusk”, “Lone Ranger”, “Dark Shadows”, etc. trend. I hope his upcoming movies, “London Fields” and “Black Mass” can reignite his talent though. I still believe in him. I know a good actor is in there. Now it’s about showing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment