Saturday, November 22, 2014

Know Your Classics: Wages of Fear






In my opinion there are three kinds of movies in this world: bad movies, good movies, and great movies. “Wages of Fear” though, transcends those categories. It is in a class all of its own. It is not just a great movie, it is an all-time great movie. It is a French movie from 1953, so I will forgive you if you have never heard of it. If you can handle foreign films in black and white, I would suggest you see it immediately. Even if cannot handle those things, I would still suggest you see it immediately. All-time great art deserves to be appreciated.


I first came across this movie in a film history class in college. Initially, I was not too excited about watching it. I thought a black and white movie with French subtitles from the 50s with a director I had never heard of would be boring. I was wrong. This movie opened my eyes to what great film-making was all about. I was able to get past the visuals and subtitles. I found myself analyzing every frame, every line of dialogue, every character action. The movie is full of symbolism and after watching it, you will find yourself breaking down every movie you later watch.


It is a thriller/suspense movie that takes place in South America. After an oil well 300 miles away catches on fire four poor men are hired to transport highly explosive nitroglycerine to the site so the fire can be extinguished and the well can be capped. The suspense and thrill comes from the poor condition of the roads and the different obstacles the drivers encounter. If the nitroglycerine cans are shaken too much they will explode, killing the drivers. Essentially, this is a suicide mission. The only reason the people accept the job is because they are in desperate need of money. The film sees the courage, friendship, ingenuity, and desperation of its characters tested. 


The movie itself is dark and gritty. The black and white really adds to the tone the movie is trying to portray. If there was color present, those visuals could subtract from the feeling of imminent death. The people are dirty and sweaty. The vehicles are beaten down. Even the direction by Henri-Georges Clouzot is superb. Every shot is simple. It allows the viewer to focus on the actors and the terrain the vehicles must cross. While viewing, you truly will be on the edge of your seat.


I adore this movie and it is a shame that not more people know it exists. It is one of the few movies with a 100% rating on RottenTomatoes.com. I would hate for Hollywood to ruin it with a remake, but I do feel as though not enough people know how brilliant this movie really is. The time is right for an American remake. It could be done for fairly cheap too, so hopefully in the future Hollywood will see the profit potential in it. Until then, find a way to view this masterpiece.

No comments:

Post a Comment