Sunday, November 30, 2014

Two Ways Daniel Cormier Can Beat Jon Jones



Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier are both great fighters. They may very well be the number one and number two fighters in the light heavyweight division. I am truly a fan of both of them. With that being said I believe Jon Jones is going to win their fight easily. I predict he will finish the fight within three rounds. I think he is the better striker, better athlete, and that his length will give Daniel Cormier a lot of trouble. There is a chance Jon Jones could lose though. Here are two ways I could see Daniel Cormier becoming the new UFC champion:

One way Daniel Cormier could win would be to get inside of Jon Jones’ reach. It is easier said than done, but since Daniel Cormier is smaller and shorter than Jon Jones, he may be able to do it. Once inside he should push Jon Jones against the cage. This will limit Jon Jones’ reach advantage and not allow him to use his unique striking. From there he needs to dirty box and go for takedowns. If he can consistently do this he has a chance of beating who I believe is the best light heavyweight of all time.

The other way he could win would be to use his wrestling and take Jon Jones down as much as possible. Again, it will nullify the reach advantage and creative striking of Jon Jones. Daniel Cormier is physically and technically better suited to turn this fight into a grappling contest. Using some ground and pound will also weaken Jon Jones and make it so the fight is not restarted on the feet. Jon Jones has shown some good submission skills, but if Daniel Cormier uses his wrestling correctly he should be able to counter whatever Jon Jones tries to do.

Of course, Daniel Cormier could always land a surprise knockout or submission, but I see those as being highly unlikely. His best bet is to use one of the strategies I explained. He has the wrestling advantage and sometimes being shorter is not a hindrance if footwork is used correctly.

I stand by my Jon Jones pick, but in a fight, anything can happen. Jon Jones hasn’t shown many weaknesses yet, so until I see signs of him not being at his peak I will continue to always bet on him.

No comments:

Post a Comment